On land that he had begun accumulating in 1887, J. Kennedy Tod developed Innis Arden, his 147-acre estate on what we know today as Greenwich Point.
Tod built a thirty-seven room mansion and a number of outbuildings and then he built a nine hole golf course. His neighbors in Sound Beach, as Old Greenwich was called then, were invited to join his golf club, and so on November 11, 1899 Innis Arden Golf Club was organized by sixty-four charter members. Next to the first tee, Mr. Tod’s Innis Arden gates now stand guard; a proud reminder of the Club’s storied past.
Innis Arden is a private club and today boasts a renovated eighteen hole golf course and practice range designed by Ken Dye. In addition, the Club has added a golf teaching hut, cart barn and a paddle hut. We also have seven Har-tru tennis courts, four of which are covered for winter play and four paddle tennis courts. The Club recently rebuilt its Poolhouse which features a two lane bowling alley, a state of the art fitness center, brand new locker rooms, a lounge area with a TV and fireplace, an outdoor viewing deck, and our Bluefish Café that provides food and beverages during the summer months.
The main Clubhouse includes a fully equipped gourmet kitchen, which accommodates four dining rooms and includes a strategically positioned dining deck overlooking the first tee.
- Innis Arden Golf Club History
An Innis Arden Chronology
1640 A group of settlers including Jeffrey Ferris acquires from the Asamuck Indians lands in what is now Eastern Greenwich.
1887 - 1898 J. Kennedy Tod acquires the 147 acres of Tod's Point and constructs "Innis Arden". Tod built a 37-room mansion as well as a number of outbuildings, importing some 30 skilled stonemasons from Italy for the duration of the construction, and a 9 hole golf course.
1899 Innis Arden Golf Club is organized with 64 charter members.
1904 Following a series of indignities, Mr. Tod reluctantly closes Innis Arden to his neighbors in Sound Beach and Riverside. The Sound Beach Golf and Country Club is organized with Tod a charter member. Play begins at a course in Shorelands.
1905 Sound Beach Golf and Country Club is incorporated.
1908 After negotiating a lease with the Ferris family, the Club begins play on 9 holes at the present site in (now) Old Greenwich.
1925 - 1926 The Club purchases land in Stamford from George Boles and others, and expands the golf course to 18 holes.
1934 Mr. Tod's widow grants permission to the Club to restore its name to "The Innis Arden Golf Club".
1948 - 1960 The Club moves back across Tomac Avenue to the Clubhouse that had been shuttered during the Depression and WWII. Refinancing allows the Club to build tennis courts and a swimming pool and to become a club for the whole family.
1971 The gates that once guarded Tod's Point are refurbished to stand watch at the Club's first tee.
1974 The Club arranges to purchase from the Ferris family the 56 acres of land on a lease expiring in the year 2000.
1994 - 1995 The original Ferris farmhouse (erected circa 1840) is gutted and rebuilt into the present Clubhouse.
2004 The Club undertakes major reconstruction and modernization of the golf course.
2008 The Club celebrates the opening of the major reconstruction of the golf course.
2011 The Club membership with an overwhelming mandate approves funding for the Special Capital Project to reconstruct the tennis and pool building adding a fitness center and reconfiguration in the spring, following construction of buildings in the fall.
2012 The Club breaks ground on the parking lot reconfiguration in the spring following construction of buildings in the fall.
2013 The Club opens its new Poolhouse featuring a brand new Tennis Pro Shop, a state of the art fitness center, a two-lane bowling alley, a muti-purpose studio and our Bluefish Café which includes an outdoor seating area.